As part of Energy Saving Week (19 – 25 October) developer Crest Nicholson, which is building a brand new eco development at ICON in Street, is offering homeowners in Somerset helpful hints to help them save energy – and money on their heating bills.
The first phase of ICON, which consists of 138 one, two, three and four-bedroom homes, has been designed to create a sustainable community by reducing the consumption of energy and water whilst providing contemporary living spaces. The development incorporates a range of energy efficient measures including solar water heating and low energy lighting, with highly insulated homes, which feature central ventilation systems keeping energy consumption extremely low.
Crest Nicholson South West Sales and Marketing Director, Sandra Dixon, said: “Around 30 per cent of the UK’s carbon dioxide emissions come from heating and energy use within our home. Crest Nicholson’s ICON development has been designed to be extremely energy efficient and we wanted to take this opportunity to pass on some simple energy saving tips to homeowners.”
Crest Nicholson’s top ten energy saving tips:
· Turn the room thermostat down by 1°C. This can save around £30 a year.
· Make sure curtains or furniture are not in front of a radiator.
· Switch off appliances such as microwaves, TVs, videos, stereos, and computers, as they use energy when they are left on standby. A staggering 85% of the energy used by the DVD player is consumed when it is not actually in use.
· Unplug equipment e.g. mobile phones, shavers and electric toothbrushes once they are fully charged, otherwise they will keep drawing electricity.
· Defrost your fridge regularly to keep it running efficiently and cheaply. If it seems to frost up quickly, check the door seal. It makes sense to avoid putting your fridge next to an oven or boiler.
· Only wash full loads or use a half-load or economy programme. Always use a low temperature programme as modern washing powders will be just as effective.
· Modern dishwashers use less energy and water than washing up by hand.
· Pressure cookers, steamers and microwaves save energy.
· Only boil as much water in the kettle as you need.
· An ordinary shower uses just two fifths of the water for a bath. In contrast, power showers use as much water as a bath and sometimes more.
Sandra continued: “We hope our useful tips will help people think about the simple measures they can take to reduce the energy that they are using. For those people who want to live in a brand new stylish energy efficient home then we encourage them to come to ICON to find out more about how they can make a difference to their carbon footprint through their choice of home.
“We have a range of homes available, from one-bedroom apartments over-looking Lime Tree Square to four-bedroom family homes. The development also boasts plenty of open green space, a play grove, wildlife garden and village green. There are many great deals on offer to help you make that move into your dream home so come and visit our sales advisors to see how we can help you.”
One person who is enjoying the environmental benefits of living at ICON is IT engineer Ben Evans (28) who moved into his two bedroom, Crest Nicholson Deco apartment in February this year. Ben said: “I thought it might be a good time to buy as houses seemed to be more affordable due to the market and I had already saved a decent deposit.
“The fact that the apartments are environmentally friendly is a big plus point for me. Initially I was worried about not being able to afford the bills, especially as gas and electricity have gone up in price, but I’ve had a few bills now and they have been fairly low and certainly less than my friends are paying in their more traditional homes.”
Prices include £105,950 for a one-bedroom apartment, £184,950 for a three bedroom home, or £129,465 when bought through the HomeBuy Direct scheme, and range to £244,950 for a four-bedroom home.
For further information, please contact a member of the Crest Nicholson sales team on 0870 753 1857 or call into the sales and marketing suite which is open daily from 10am to 5pm. Alternatively please log on to www.liveicon.co.uk to find out more information or to see the ICON fly-through movie.
- Energy Savings to be made at Avante
- Crest Nicholson help buyers find perfect home in Churchdown with HomeBuy Direct Scheme
- Crest Nicholson to Launch Exclusive Collection Of Homes In Popular Southwick
- Barratt Homes Pays Your Gas Bill – Beat That British Gas!
- Green homes on sale in Oregon powered by Mable